Our website uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to collect information about how you use this site to improve our service to you. By not accepting cookies some elements of the site, such as video, will not work. Please visit our Cookie Policy page for more information on how we use cookies.

Casual Trading

“Casual Trading” means selling goods on the public road or at a place where the public has access as of right and any other place that is a designated casual trading area.

Casual trading in Ireland is regulated by Casual Trading bye-laws made under the Casual Trading Act 1995. A casual trading licence is a requirement under the Casual Trading Act to sell goods on the public road. It is an offence under this Act to trade without a valid casual trading licence.

Competent Authority

As mentioned above, trading is regulated by bye-laws, meaning each city or county council in Ireland regulates their own geographic region. So, where you intend to trade, will determine the city/county council you will need to apply to.

Procedures for obtaining a Casual Trading Licence in Ireland

The application process may vary across the different authorities. 

In some areas, this may involve the completion of an Expression of Interest form.

In most cases the process involves the submission of a completed form, along with:

Evidence of Public Liability Insurance
Tax Clearance Access Number (TCAN)
Passport photographs of licence holder
Copy of HSE Food Registration (where selling food) 
Waste Management Plan

Further Information

Fees for Casual Trading vary depending on location and merchandise. Please contact your local authority for full information on fees. This will also be listed on their designated website.

Contact details

Dublin City Council, Casual Trading Section

Tel: +353 1 222 2165 
Email: casualtrading@dublincity.ie

List of all local authorities in Ireland: City/County Councils

Information correct at time of publishing, please contact the competent authority for further information.