Our website uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to collect information about how you use this site to improve our service to you. By not accepting cookies some elements of the site, such as video, will not work. Please visit our Cookie Policy page for more information on how we use cookies.


This A-Z of licences/Permits provides the following key information:

• Details of the list of licences/permits issued by Government Departments, and Offices under their remit
• Links to online information, and
• Relevant contact details for further enquiries

For further enquiries regarding the licence/permit, please contact the authority listed.

If your service is not listed, please contact us and we will try to guide you to the correct authority.

Click on the Letters below to access the list of licences beginning with that letter e.g. clicking on 'O' brings you to a list including: "Occasional Trading Permit".

A -  B -  C -  D -  E -  F -  G -  H -   K -  L -  M -  N -  O -  P - Q-  -  T -   V -  Z

Most Common Licences

Company Registrations

Title of Licence / PermitRelevant Department

Business Name Registration

Company Incorporation

Limited Partnership Registration

Companies Registration Office


Title of Licence / Permit

Relevant Department

Registration and Renewal in the following areas:
Guesthouses, Holiday Homes
Hostels and Youth Hostels
Caravan and Camping Parks
Holiday Camps

Fáilte Ireland (The National Tourism Development Authority)


Title of Licence / Permit

Relevant Department

Auto-Fuel Trader's Licence


Community Licence (Road Haulage)

Community Licence (Road Passenger)

Road Transport Operator Licencing Unit

Digital Tachograph cards – Driver Card (includes renewal and replacement cards)

Road Safety Authority

Dispatch Operator licence

National Transport Authority

Driver CPC (card)

Road Safety Authority

Occasional International (including cross-border) Transport Services For Passengers (EU Journey Forms under EU Regulation 1073/2009)

Regular International (including cross-border) Transport Services for Passengers (EU Authorisations under EU Regulation 1073/2009)

National Transport Authority

International Road Haulage Operator’s Licence

International Road Passenger Transport Operator’s Licence

Road Transport Operator Licencing Unit

National Road Haulage Operator’s Licence

Road Safety Authority

Public Bus Passenger Service Licence under the Public Transport Regulation Act 2009

National Transport Authority

Small public service vehicle (SPSV) licence

National Transport Authority


Title of Licence / PermitRelevant Department
Retailers Off Licence
Wine Retailer's Off Licence
Beer Retailer's Off Licence
Spirit Retailer's Off Licence
Cider Retailer's Off Licence
Sweets Retailer's Off Licence

Club Certificates

Application for Declaration as to Suitability of Proposed Registered Club Premises

Club Authorisation

Club Licence

Renewal of Certificate of Registration

Public Dance Licence

Court Services

Hotel Licences

Application to have a Public Bar in Hotel (Section 19)

Hotel Licence with Public Bar


Manufacturer's Licence


Cider Manufacturer
Compounder of Spirits
Distiller of Spirits
Rectifier of Spirits
Sweets Manufacturer
Methylated Spirits
Licence to Manufacturer or Wholesale Chemist & Druggist to sell Spirits.


Publican's Licence


Special Restaurant Licence


Wine Retailer's On Licence


Private Security 

Title of Licence / Permit

Relevant Department  

Door Supervisor (Various)

Security Guard (Various)

Access Control (Installation and Maintenance)

CCTV (Installation and Maintenance)

Intruder Alarm (Installation and Maintenance)


Private Investigators


The Private Security Authority


Title of Licence / Permit

Relevant Department

Auctioneers Licence

Estate Agents Licence

Property Services Registration Authority (PSRA)

Employment Permits

Employment Permits Online

Electronic Tax Clearance (eTC)


Trade Marks

Intellectual Property Office of Ireland

Music and Singing Licence (Public)

Courts Service

Occasional Trading Licence

Department of Enterprise, Trade & Employment

*Updates in progress