Providing Architectural Services in Ireland
The following is for general information purposes only. All further queries regarding this information should be directed to the competent authority listed below.
The Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland (RIAI) is the Competent Authority for Architects.
To use the title architect in Ireland you must be included on the statutory Register for Architects. Admission to the register requires compliance with the provisions of the Building Control Act 2007, which transposes the Professional Qualifications Directive (2005/36/EC). The register is published on the RIAI's website at Register of Architects.
Application for recognition as an Architect, when setting up in business in Ireland
EU/EEA nationals seeking establishment as an architect in Ireland who have a recognised qualification in Architecture from an EU/EEA Member State meeting the requirements of Directive 2005/36/EC for automatic recognition, can apply directly to the RIAI for recognition under Route D1 using the information and forms provided in the admissions area at RIAI- Admissions.
Information on fees and documentation to be submitted
The charge for making an application under Route D1 (i.e excluding the annual charge) at time of writing is €145.
Fee details on other application routes can be found here.
This process involves confirmation of eligibility to register in the basis of the Directive and requires the following (please see application package for details).
- Copy of Passport/National ID
- Copy of Degree/Diploma or equivalent qualification in architecture ·
- Verification of qualification in architecture form to be sent directly by the awarding body to the RIAI
- Statement from the Competent Authority in the State in which the qualification was gained confirming that the qualification satisfies the requirements of Directive 2005/36/EC and is listed in the relevant Annex of that Directive
- Certificate accompanying the evidence of formal Qualification in Architecture as required under Directive 2005/36/EC (if applicable)
- Evidence of Language Proficiency (see application package for details)
- RIAI Payment Form and Assessment Fee
Completing registration procedures online
Documents which are not required in the original format can be submitted online via email to the RIAI.
Verifications from educational institutions and Competent Authorities may be provided online, once they are issued directly to the RIAI by the provider in question. Payments may be made online.
Queries may be addressed to the RIAI admissions office at the following contact details:
firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling +353 1 676 1703.